Date admitted: April 2, 2019
Stranding location: Canaveral National Seashore
Admission notes: This juvenile green turtle was brought to us from Canaveral National Seashore covered in barnacles and looking very lethargic. In August, we discovered that Janeway was originally tagged in September 2018 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources in the Wilmington River in Georgia. There, the turtle was noted as having a prop wound.
September 18, 2019: The wave action was too intense at Turtle Krawl, so we rescheduled Janeway’s release to Thursday, September 19 at 10 a.m. at Lori Wilson Park!
September 12, 2019: Janeway will return to the ocean this Saturday, September 14 at the Turtle Krawl 5K around 10 a.m. This event is at Nance Park; we hope you can make it!
September 11, 2019: Jane came out for final bloodwork and radiographs on Tuesday, September 10. Their bloodwork looked great and the radiographs reflected a healthy turtle. We are happy to say that after a five-month stay at the Healing Center, this turtle is ready to go back home!
August 23, 2019: Janeway came out for their monthly workup. Everything is moving in the right direction and their shell is looking amazing! Just a few lesions left and this turtle will be healed!
August 15, 2019: Jane is healing so well! This turtle is very active and always scavenges for lettuce remainders. No lettuce bits will go uneaten in this pool!
August 1, 2019: “Jane,” as we have nicknamed this turtle, is often seen hanging out next to their tank mates. Whether it is to steal their food or keep them company, no one will know.
July 26, 2019: Janeway now has two tank mates and loves to try to steal their food! This turtle is continuing to receive cold laser therapy.
July 18, 2019: This turtle continues to do well post-surgery. Janeway is receiving laser therapy daily to promote cellular growth and keep the area clean. This turtle is also very interested in their new tankmate, Boxer, and constantly watches them through the separator.
July 15, 2019: Jane is recovering well from their abscess removal surgery; so much so that they were able to be put back in the water! This turtle had spent the better half of the last week and a half dry docked as the VAC pack worked its magic, leaving the surgical site clean and healing well.
July 5, 2019: Jane had a busy week! This turtle went through a successful surgery to remove the abscess that was underneath an old carapace fracture.
June 21, 2019: The CT results from last week show that there is an infection underneath the carapace due to an older fracture. Vet staff is currently working on a method of removing the abscess. Surgery will be in this turtle’s near future.
June 13, 2019: Janeway had their CT scan today and everything went great. We are just waiting for those results.
June 7, 2019: This turtle beat the highly-resistant bacterial infection in their blood, so we took them off Meropenem. Unfortunately, there are still some abnormalities in Janeway’s bloodwork, so we will be taking them to get a CT scan soon.
May 24, 2019: Another blood culture was taken this week, so we are hoping to see that this turtle is Shewanella-free!
May 17, 2019: Janeway loves a good belly scratch on their toys! Unfortunately, this turtle still has Shewanella algae in their blood culture, so they will continue with Meropenem injections. You wouldn’t know it, though!
May 9, 2019: This turtle is handling the new antibiotic for their blood infection great. They continue to have an upbeat attitude and spend lots of time scratching their belly on the enrichment device. This turtle came out for their monthly checkup and a blood culture recheck. We are hoping for a clean culture!
April 24, 2019: Janeway has been tolerating their honey blanket treatment (a small towel soaked in honey) and we are starting to see small improvements in their shell tissue. Unfortunately, this turtle’s blood cultures came back positive for three different types of bacteria so began them on a new antibiotic for those.
April 12, 2019: Captain Janeway’s most recent blood culture came back positive for Aeromonas. We will continue to treat with antibiotics.